I originally intended to have this blog for movie, book reviews and such endeavors. However, I kept on forgetting to do that, so I have decided to use this blog primarily as a chronicle of my creative escapades -- the biggest of them being my science fiction/humorous novel.
The rest of this post details how it came to be.
At the time that I decided to write a novel (April 2008), I was working as a video game programmer at a company called Barking Lizards Technologies. I was on a project that was nearing release (at this point it was just minor bug fixes), and thus it felt like my brain had some free space (compared to the rest of the time on that project). I had just started reading Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere", and the character of Richard, particularly his "every-man in an extraordinary world" persona, struck me. It was a slow Friday afternoon, and my mind wandered home. I started to think -- if I was to write a character like Richard, what would his apartment look like? Visions of a messy apartment with pizza boxes lying all over the place just came to mind. Later that weekend, I wrote this very first paragraph describing this character (who I named Rodney -- and despite what people think, I did not take that name from the old British show "Only Fools and Horses")'s apartment. That was it -- until August 2009.
More to come later, with some exclusive excerpts.
No comments:
Post a Comment